Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Applique 101



These 3 applique pieces I done the last few months while on the road. I must say I DID NOT ENJOY DOING THIS....I took them home when we went home in August, took them to the LQS and left them. The funniest thing about this story, I appliqued the blue martian while in Mars, Pa. Fitting, HUH***VBS***

Actually, I gave them to Quiltkemosabe while we were at the quilt guild. I didn't want to take them myself to the LQS, I really don't think they are very good. BUT, I promised to do them. I was just sure I would do the applique by machine and be done with them....That sure didn't work. I think I need some lessons...and I plan to get some when we get back home and I have some time, cause I don't plan to do anymore applique by hand.That was the most tedious and boring thing I have done in a long time ( Sorry Shirley) But I done as I promised and then put the borders on them, then gave them to Quiltkemosabe, never thought anymore about it. Well, actually I did, I was sure they had been put in the "Black Hole" never to be seen again, so imagine my surprise when a few days later when I went into the LQS and there they were all quilted and bound and out for the whole world to see...WOW....They looked ever so much better,so thanks ladies, for all your nice work to make mine look better, they sure needed help and you all knew just what to do to "fix" them.....It sure is great to know such wonderful ladies that will take the time to make my messes look so nice.....I owe all of you***VBS***... I miss ya'll too, will be home in 21 days ( but who's counting?)

I have had a very pleasant day today, my neice came and picked me up and took me to a Quilt shop, it was several miles from here,very nice shop and had some beautiful finished quilts. NOT a very friendly place though, my neice even mentioned how unfriendly tha lady was, completly ignored us....Maybe she was having a bad day....who knows.....people like her aggravate me....

I was already aggravated with myself because I had forgotten my camera, but that was ok, cause there was signs up telling everyone NO PICTURES....SO even though there was some very nicely done quilts, I would not have been able to show you.

I do have a question for all of you. She ( I don't know her name) was telling another lady ( that came in after we did and left long before us )that she should spray her quilt until it was soaked through with white vinegar ( no water mixed in) and then iron it dry,The lady was asking how best to wash her quilt.... Have any of you ever heard of cleaning your quilt that way? Just curious, as I have never heard of that technique? No, I'm not saying she was wrong, just asking...

Feedback, please......

Well, tomorrow it's back to work, am anxious to get this over, although it is nice to be here around family. I do so enjoy seeing my nephew, neice and their children.

Hope all of you are safe from the terrible hurricanes and sitting in your sewing rooms just Quilting Memories......................................................









4 comments:

Dawn said...

I kind of feel like you do about applique. I just did my first quilt top with it and I guess it's okay. I stithed it down with invisible thread and a zig zag -- that was probably a violation or something, but it's done and you really can't see it. I guess I too should take a class. :) Keep up the great reviews. They're inspiring.

Dawn said...

I kind of feel like you do about applique. I just did my first quilt top with it and I guess it's okay. I stitched it down with invisible thread and a zig zag stitch -- that was probably a violation or something, but it's done and you really can't see it. I guess I should take a class. :) Keep up the great reviews. They're inspiring.

Libby said...

That's a new cleaning method to me.

Nane said...

I think the aliens are cute...and nope never heard of cleaning a quilt like that.